A Facelift For My Sewing Machine Case
The sewing machine that I use for everyday sewing is the Singer 201k. I bought it for three dollars at a thrift store, and it was made in Scotland in 1956. I adore my beefy old machine. Beefy in an endearing way. Like when my Mom told me I was special when I was a kid. But the case leaves a bit to be desired.
So I decided to do something about it. I bought some Mod Podge (which I’d never used before), some fabric, and I gave it a whirl. It is amazing how simple it was. I just cut the fabric to size and ironed it, then Mod Podged it on, sewed the piping, then glued that on! The trickiest part was the latches on the sides, because they didn’t come out, so I had to cut holes just smaller than the hardware with snips all around the edge. Then I used a knife and tucked the little snips in.
I think I’m pretty pleased with how it came out.
Now I think it says, “I’m cute and I look great in contrast with this headboard.” It’s actually a bit greener in real life, I just had trouble capturing the true colour in the picture. I think I’d like to get a new handle for it, too. Right now it’s like a woman’s hands, it gives away her true age.